A SMALL SUMMARY ABOUT D.O.C.G. WINE IN TUSCANY
- 1. Brunello di Montalcino is produced with 100% "Sangiovese grosso" in an area of 1,300 hectares on the hills of Montalcino. Aged for at least 3, but usually 5
years in big barrels or small oak barriques. This is a strong, full-bodied wine with aromas of vanilla, toasted oak,tannins and mineral notes.
Outstanding to store for 25/30 years in the best vintages.
- 2. Chianti Classico is produced with: Sangiovese 100% or a minimum of 75% of sangiovese and a percentage of red grapes (Cabernet, Merlot, Canaiolo, Malvasia nera) not more than 10% and 6% of white grapes (Trebbiano and Malvasia bianca) in a restricted area
between Siena and Florence.
Aged 2 years in big barrels for the standard one and 3 years for the "riserva". The standard is easy to drink, very fruity and fresh; the riserva, instead,is full-bodied with flavours of grass, humous, crushed berries and ripe fruit.
The standard is good to be drunk within 5 years while you can store the "riserva" for 20 years.
- 3. Vernaccia di San Gimignano (white wine) is produced with Vernaccia 100% or 10% of other white, not aromatic, grapes in the San Gimignano district. Aged 1 year for the standard plus 4 months in the bottle for the "riserva".
It is best to drink the standard within a couple of years and the "riserva" within 5 years.
- 4. Nobile di Montepulciano is produced with a clone of Sangiovese which in the area of Montepulciano is called "Prugnolo Gentile" in a percentage of 100% or at
least 70% plus:
a max. of 20% of Canaiolo Nero, and a max. of 10% of white grapes. Aged in big barrels or small barriques 2 years for the standard and 3 years for the "riserva".
You can drink or store the normal for up to 10 years and you can store the "riserva for 25 years.
- 5. Carmignano is produced with: a min. of 50% of Sangiovese, max. 20% of Canaiolo, max. 20% of Cabernet Franc or Cabernet Sauvignon, max 10% of white grapes.
Aged 2 years for the standard and 3 for the "riserva"; found in a very small area near Prato, in the Carmignano and Poggio a Caiano districts.
The standard is good to drink within 5 years and you can store the "riserva" for 15 years.