Brief Guides of:
Colle val d'Elsa
Situated on a solitary, wooded hill dominating the Crete area, this
was the first abbey of the Benedictine Order of Monte
Oliveto and certainly the largest and most beautiful among
those that were erected in other localities and even in
The church, which was erected in the 15th century and whose interior was re-built after 1772 in the Gothic style, possesses some marvellous inlaid choir stalls by Giovanni da Verona (1503-1505) and a lectern by Raffaello da Brescia (1518)
Also of interest are the frescoes by Luca Sodoma, done at the beginning of the l6th century and depicting the life of San Benedetto da Norcia in 35 panels. This seires of frescoes runs along the four walls of the huge cloister, with its suggestive atmosphere in a double row of Loggias, airy and tall and with rows of characteristic pillars.
We wish to point out the refectory, with its l7th century frescoes of three naves according to the designs of Friar Giovanni da Verona (1518).
Here too, we can find some valuable art works.