Monteriggioni is a suggestive and glorious suburban town on the left bank
of the Staggia torrent.
According to the wishes of the Sienese people, it was
erected in the l2th century as a castle and served as
the city’s front emplacement against Florence. In 1213-19,
it was encircled by a mighty wall, whose circumference
was 570 metres and which had 14 huge towers that at one
time stood much higher; they made an impression on
Dante who refers to the towers in Canto 31 of inferno:
« On the waII so round / Monteriggioni with towers is
The town still bears its medieval aspect and in the parish
church we can clearly view the interesting example of
the transition from the Romanesque to the Gothic style.
Look at the map